What to do when we are closed

Out of Hours Emergencies

When the practice is closed, there is an out of hours’ emergency medical service available at all times. This service is meant for urgent and emergency problems and should not be used to avoid the inconvenience of consulting during the day.  If you need out of hours help, you should telephone 111 which is a free-phone number nationwide. Trained staff located at the call control centre will handle your enquiry.  

On dialling 111 a team of fully trained advisers and experienced nurses will assess your condition and direct you to the local service that can help you best, when you need it. That could be your GP surgery, an out of hours GP, A&E, a local urgent care centre, emergency dentist or a late opening pharmacist. The 111 service is in operation 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

 NHS 24 can provide the same service to deaf, hard-of hearing and speech-impaired people as long as they have a text-phone. 

Remember the Out of Hours Service is for urgent problems only. Please do not contact the service for a second opinion or for anything which can wait until the next working day.

If you have a minor ailment you could visit your local pharmacy who will be able to provide you with some help or signpost you onto the next available service.

Further Guidance

  • You may be asked to attend the primary care emergency centre where the out-of-hours
    GPs service is based, or the out-of-hours GP may arrange to visit you
  • If the problem is not suitable for the out of hours GP service, you may be advised to attend A&E or call a 999 ambulance
  • Please do not attend a primary care emergency centre without calling NHS 24 first
  • The primary care emergency centres within the Greater Glasgow and Clyde region are based at:

Dental emergencies

  • Please contact your own dentist
  • If your dentist is closed, listen to the recorded message which will advise you what to do
  • For help finding your nearest dentist, click here
  • If you are not registered with a dentist and the problem cannot wait, please contact the Emergency Dental Centre – 0141 232 6323 from 08:30 – 17:15 and via NHS24 telephone 111 from 19:00 – 22:00
  • Please note that this is not a drop in service; access is by appointment only in the daytime and via NHS24 in the evenings

Eye emergencies

  • Community optometrists are now recognised as the first “port of call” for eye problems
  • Optometrists carry out free NHS eye examinations which are available to all UK residents living in Scotland
  • All high street opticians have an optometrist who provides
    NHS services
  • If you have any problems with your eyes make an appointment with an
  • The optometrist will carry out various tests and procedures to look for
    signs of eye disease
  • They may either treat the problem themselves or
    refer you to your GP or local hospital ophthalmology department for treatment
  • For help finding your nearest optician, click here
  • If you develop an urgent eye problem when the practice is closed and can’t wait until it re-opens, call NHS24 on 111
  • For an eye injury that requires immediate emergency treatment go to your nearest Accident & Emergency department; children under one should attend the Royal Hospital for Sick Children

In a genuine emergency you should call 999. Chest pains and / or shortness of breath constitute an emergency.

Mental Health Crisis?

You should call 999 or go to A&E if you, or someone you know, experiences a life-threatening medical or mental health emergency. These are cases where there is immediate danger to life or physical injury. A mental health emergency should be taken as seriously as a medical emergency. If you feel like you may be close to acting on suicidal thoughts or have seriously harmed yourself, you should call 999 or go to A&E directly if you need immediate help and are worried about your safety.